Hike & Wine South
• Admire the lush vineyards and green valleys of Teno as you hike across the beautiful countryside of rural Santiago del Teide
• Stop at the famous El Calvario de los Baldíos, a shrine that marks the last volcanic eruption on the island
• Learn about the nature, history and geology of the area from your guide
• Enjoy a delicious Canarian lunch and try different wines at the local Bodega
Meet your guide at the prearranged time outside your hotel and ride to the historical La Casona del Patio hotel, which itself is a beautiful landmark in Santiago del Teide. Your expert guide will share insights into the area’s climate, history and nature, pointing out interesting sights on the way.
Upon arrival, you’ll get to have a brief look at the surroundings and learn about the history of winemaking on the island. Your guide will hand out snacks and water and then we choose the day’s hiking route together. There are a few different options, all very pleasant hikes across the unspoilt countryside. On all routes you will pass by lush vineyards and fields with almond and fig trees along the way.
The almond is a species of tree native to Mediterranean climate regions. Almonds were one of the earliest domesticated fruit trees on the island, and they can found in abundance particularly in the fertile valleys of Santiago del Teide.
There will be ample opportunities to stop, feast your eyes on the beautiful landscape and take photos. Depending on the chosen route, the hike will take approximately 2-3 hours, walking at a comfortable pace.
Past the village of Valle de Arriba, you will stop by El Calvario de los Baldíos, a shrine which marks the island’s last volcanic eruption in 1909. You will also learn about the fascinating geology of the island from your guide.
Finally, you will arrive back at La Casona del Patio where it’s time to enjoy a delicious three-course lunch in an idyllic 17th century building called La Casa Vieja. The local-style menu includes fresh bread, mojo sauce, pumpkin soup, wood oven baked chicken, papas arrugadas and quesillo (Canarian style flan). Soft drinks and wine are included with the meal. Then, continue to the charming on-site bodega for wine tasting with a local guide. You’ll learn how to taste wines like a pro and try three top quality wines from the island.
- Professional guides
- Transportation in an air-conditioned van
- Snacks & Beverages
- Rain jackets, walking sticks (if needed)
- Three-course lunch with soft drinks and wine
- Wine tasting
- Photos of the day
- The minimum age to participate is 10 years old
- The hike is suitable for all participants in good general health
- Odbiór z hotelu
- We pick our adventurers up from their hotels, take them to Santiago del Teide and continue on foot in Teno's mountain area
- The hike takes about 2 hours, walking at a moderate, enjoyable pace
- We recommend proper hiking or sports footwear and comfortable outdoor clothing; also don’t forget to bring sunscreen and sunglasses. Since weather conditions on the island can change rapidly, we also recommend a rain-proof jacket and a hat.