Samaria Gorge from Malia
Discover the longest Gorge of Europe and suffer the 18 KM
Explore the abandoned village of SAMARIA
Cross the Iron Gate and follow the river bed to enjoy a refreshing bath in the Lybian Sea
Enjoy a beautiful boat trip along the impressing south cost
Come with us to explore Samaria Gorge, the most majestic gorge in Europe and get ready to live a unique experience!
Our adventure starts very early in the morning and our first stop is near Rethymno, where we get breakfast before moving on to Omalos Plateau. The walk starts from Xiloskalo, where we enter this vast canyon of 18 klm that is considered to be the longest in Europe, We usually need 6-7 hours to cross the rocky gorge down to the shore.
The path follows the route of the ancient river Taras. On the way, we can see the caves that formed a natural shelter for the Cretans in war times and now they are the natural habitat of the well-known wild goats, or Kri-Kri. Halfway we come across the village of Samaria, currently abandoned. Three kilometers prior to our exiting this majestic gorge, we reach the Iron Gates (Sideroportes), the narrowest spot of the route, just a few meters wide, but 300 meters high. A bit later we arrive in the small fishing village of Agia Roumeli, where we have quite a long time to lunch and get a refreshing swim in the Libyan Sea, before boarding the ship that leads us back along the coast to the village of Sfakia.
Hiking shoes, sunscreen, a hat, sunglasses, an extra pair of socks, swimsuit and a light jacket are essential.
- Transfers by modern fully air-conditioned coach
- Transportation by reliable boat
- Experienced drivers
Cena nie zawiera
- ENTRANCE GORGE National Park 5.00 €
- BOAT AGIA ROUMELI – SFAKIA adult 11.00 € children 5-12 years old 6 €
- Live guide in English, German and Russian every Tuesday; live guide in English, French, Dutch + German every Thursday.
- Pick up / drop off from the hotel / meeting point at the main road from Malia, Stalis, Hersonissos, Analipsi, Anissaras, Gouves, Gournes, Heraklion, Ammoudara - Heraklion
- Meeting points at Agia Pelagia are Angel Village, Athina Palace, Panorama, Eco Station Irida, Capsis, Shell Station Nikolas, Sea Side, Blue Bay.
- Pls pay attention carefully the exact pick up time which you’ll receive after the booking. The local tour operator will contact you via email and send you a detailed description of your pick-up point and time. The mentioned pick up time from GYG is just the starting time for the excursion which means that may your pick up is DIFFERENT
- must book this 24 hours in advance
- •Not suitable for handicap persons or children under 5 years old
- •Hiking shoes or suitable shoes, water, sun protection, a hat, sunglasses, an extra pair of socks, swimsuit and a light jacket are essential.