Vintage Bus Tour to Vittoriosa, Cospicua and Senglea
Guided tour in English onboard an old maltese bus dating back to the 1920s.
Step back in time as you drive to the fortresses of Cottonera which are widely known as the Three Cities.
These cities were built and fortified by the Knights of Malta.
We will start with an informative drive through Cospicua. The fortifications in Cospicua were constructed to protect the town and its neighbours, by the Knights of Malta in 1638.
We will then visit Vittoriosa, ideally situated for safe anchorage and over time it has developed a very long history with maritime, mercantile and military activities. Prior to the establishment of Valletta as a capital city of Malta, military powers that wanted to rule the Maltese islands would need to obtain control of Vittoriosa due to its significant position in the Grand Harbour. Vittoriosa is now a location of several tourist attractions. The historic Vittoriosa Waterfront contains the former Palace of the General of the Galleys and the Order of St. John's treasury. The area was refurbished in the early 2000s and both buildings are used for other activities: the former is now a casino, while the latter is home to the Malta Maritime Museum.
The third city is Senglea, joined by a land bridge to Cospicua during the time of the Knights of St. John and as a result it became a peninsular in shape. During the time of the Knights of St. John, Senglea was used as a hunting area.
A detailed English commentary by the driver will help you unfold the history of Valletta and the Three Cities connected with two Great Siegles of 1565 and 1942. Tour is operated by one of the first two wooden bodied buses purchased in 1921 by the Cottonera Motor Bus company. These buses were licensed to operate routes between the Cottonera and Valletta and were made by local carpenters and mechanics.
- 2 Hour guided tour to the Three Cities with english-speaking guide
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday at 11.00 and 14.30.
- Saturday at 11.00.
- Return transport is organised at 15.00, 16.00 or 18.00 from Sliema Ferries.
- Attard, Malta; departure at: 10:15
- Valletta, Malta; departure at: 10:30
- Sliema, Malta; departure at: 10:45
- St. Julian’s, Malta - Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel; departure at: 10:30; In St. Julian's, the main pick up point is Golden Tulip Vivaldi Hotel.
- St Paul's Bay, Malta; departure at: 10:00
- Bugibba, Saint Paul's Bay, Malta; departure at: 10:10
- Qawra; departure at: 10:15
- Golden Bay, Mellieħa, Malta; departure at: 09:50
- Xemxija, Saint Paul's Bay, Malta; departure at: 09:50
- Mellieħa, Malta; departure at: 09:45
- Cirkewwa, Mellieħa, Malta; departure at: 09:30
Pick-up time is approximate and depends on your exact hotel location. Please note, that delays up to 15 min due to the traffic may occur. If your hotel is not accessible by bus you will be provided with the closest to your hotel meeting point.