Crete: healing nature tour
What a wonderful gift to yourself and to nature. This very special In Focus tour shines a light on the problems facing the Cretan countryside after a series of devastating fires rocked the island. We will visit one of the affected areas where you will plant a tree to support the reforestation process. While we are at it we will also explore the historic hills with their ancient ruins and lush olive groves and enjoy a picnic in the ancient forest.
- Support a recently fire-ravaged local habitat by planting a tree for yourself or for a loved one
- Discover one of the best spots for magical views across Mirabello Bay
- Admire the beauty of unspoiled Cretan landscapes off the traditional tourist trail
- Enjoy a glorious picnic of Cretan meze in the ancient forest of Krousta
From the coast, we will head inland to the Lasithi region, a charming rural backwater of lush hillscapes and dramatic gorges, to explore the flora and fauna unique to the area. As we ascend into the hills we will stop to admire the stunning views of Agios Nikolaos and Mirabello Bay.
After passing through the traditional village of Kritsa, we will move further away from the resort towns on the coast to the countryside where the shepherds work and live. You will notice that time has stopped here. Fruit trees, agriculture, small houses, and strange green stones complete this nature puzzle. This is a very different way of life and a very different Crete.
We will stop at ancient ruins and old churches untouched by modernity before reaching the barren landscape of an area that was destroyed by fires last year. Here, you will roll up your sleeves and plant your tree. You will give your tree a name and gift it to nature for future generations to enjoy.
Every worker should be paid for their services, and we’re paying you in the best local way possible: with a delicious Greek feast! We will move on to the ancient forest of Kroustas with its colorful beehives, to admire the splendors of the forest as we feast on a spectacular picnic featuring organic, local delicacies.
Our final stop is at a small kafeneio for a shot of raki, a strong local drink with a hint of aniseed. A great way to end your day in the Greek countryside.
Then we shall return you to modern Crete, where your guide will be more than happy to share some insider knowledge on where to visit next.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Round-trip transportation from meeting point (private vehicle)
- Tree to plant
- Picnic lunch (seasonal dishes, meatballs, Greek salad, fruit)
- 1 glass of wine and shots of raki (a local spirit)
Cena nie zawiera
- Additional food and drinks
- Souvenirs or personal shopping
- Tips/gratuities for your guide and driver
- Starting time: 9.45 AM-10.15 AM
- Duration: 7 hours
- Language: English
- Meeting point:
- 1. Plaka: At 9:45am at the Agia Marina church, next to the Blue Palace hotel.
- 2. Elounda: At 9:55am at the square and roundabout at the church side.
- 3. Agios Nikolaos: At 10:15am at the bridge in front of the tourist information office. View map.
- Ending point: Same as meeting point.
- Dress standard: Please wear comfortable shoes for walking, and bring a hat and sunscreen in the summer months.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 6 people.
- This is a child-friendly tour; however, please note that this might be a long day for small children.