Crete, Chania: street stories of Chania
Experience the real Crete with a walk through one of its most picturesque cities. Chania is a kaleidoscope of different elements: ancient ruins, strong local culture and traditions, and delectable cuisine (and yes, you’ll get to taste some!). Escape the tourist traps and dive into secret corners and local neighbourhoods — each stop has a story to tell!
- Time travel through layers of Crete’s history as you listen to the myths and tales of Old Town
- See local artisans at work, and even try your own skills in their workshops
- Wander through a 100-year-old market selling local Cretan products
- Visit the Ottoman neighborhood and Jewish Quarter, walk along the “street of the Knives,” and explore corners not found in guidebooks
- Sip raki and snack on mezedes in one of the city’s historic neighborhoods
With a history expanding from the Neolithic period when the first settlement of the city was founded just steps from the Venetian harbor, Chania has seen Romans, Byzantine officials, Arabs, Venetians, Ottomans, and Germans pass through her city streets. Due to its strategic geographical position, Crete has always had to struggle for independence, but this ever-changing history makes for a fascinating story!
Discover what makes Crete’s cultural capital so magical on this relaxed full-day walking tour of Chania. You’ll take in the sites from the Old Town to the lesser known Ottoman and Jewish quarters, and into the chic historic neighborhood of Halepa. Get ready to experience Chania with all your senses!
We’ll start your Chania tour at the Dimotiki Agora (Municipal Market), which marks the border between the old and new town. Built between 1908 and 1913 (the year that Crete was united with Greece), the Agora hosts more than 70 shops selling mostly regional products. You’ll get to explore the market and sample local delicacies while learning about the deliciously healthy Cretan diet.
With your taste buds satisfied, we will walk to the old town district. Wander through narrow laneways, hidden backstreets, and open doors to secret gardens, and Venetian and Ottoman monuments. Listen to stories of empires, sailors, traders, lovers, heroes, and artists. Learn how this city has been a crossroads between the East and West for centuries.
Next, on your Chania tour, you’ll have the unique opportunity to see local artisans crafting their products. Listen to their stories — and maybe even try your own skills!
From there, our Crete tour will take us on a stroll through the Jewish and Ottoman neighborhoods, where you’ll learn how life has changed over the years in this city of multicultural residents.
Finally, we’ll walk along the waterfront of one of Chania’s historic neighborhoods and sit down to an inviting table with Cretan mezedes (local dishes).
Your Crete tour will end either here or we could take you back to the starting point. With so many suggestions and tips from your local guide, you’ll likely have a myriad of things you’ll want to do next!
- Local English-speaking guide
- Coffee or a soft drink
- Sampling of local products and beverages
Cena nie zawiera
- Additional food and drink
- Souvenirs and items of a personal nature
- Tips and gratuities for your guide
- Starting time: 9.00 AM
- Duration: 4 hours
- Language: English
- Meeting point: Chania Municipal Market (the Public Market is located at the centre of the city, on central market square). Our guide will be standing outside, on the left.
- Ending point: Chania Municipal Market
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Chania ; odjazd o: 09:00; Chania Municipal Market (the Public Market is located at the centre of the city, on central market square). Our guide will be standing outside, on the left.
- Dress standard: As this is a walking tour , we advise you wear comfortable walking shoes. During summer don’t forget your sunglasses and of course a photo camera as Chania will amaze you !