Private Crete: Gourmet Trail of Rethymon
Taste your way through the old city of Rethymnon on this private evening food tour that uncovers the hidden spots not found in guidebooks. Eat and drink the best products of the region, talk to local vendors, and find out why Crete is a foodies’ paradise!
- Experience real Cretan food, from classic kalitsounia to freshly baked baklava
- Learn how Crete’s culinary traditions have led to one of the healthiest diets in the world
- Participate in a private wine tasting workshop and food pairing in one of the oldest Venetian cellars in town
- Learn about Greek coffee and see it brewed the traditional way on sand
- Enjoy a glass of local beer or ouzo, and a signature raki cocktail at a hidden local spot
Join a local guide for a private stroll on this unique walk around the old town of Rethymnon while discovering the culinary treasures of the region.
During our four-hour Crete tour, we will introduce you to the best food and wines that Rethymnon has to offer! Cretan cuisine is one of the healthiest and tastiest diets in the world. It is the base of the Mediterranean diet, and Crete’s culture, history, and geography have all helped to create the island’s unique dishes.
We’ll stroll through the oldest neighborhoods in Rethymnon while sharing with you our passion for local food and traditions. We’ll walk along alleys and laneways before kicking off our culinary delights with a freshly brewed Greek coffee made the traditional way… on sand!
While walking along narrow laneways in the heart of the old city, you’ll get to savor Crete’s famous kalitsounia, one of the most classic and delicious Cretan appetizers. Kalitsounia is pastry pies filled with cheese and spinach, fennel, or wild local greens. Best of all, you’re going to taste one at a 100-year-old bakery that’s a local favorite!
Our next stop will be the jewel of the crown, as it is one of Rethymnon’s oldest Venetian buildings, part of a Dominican monastery that was built in the 14th century. Here, in a 700-year-old stone wine cellar, you will participate in a one-of-a-kind wine and food tasting workshop. You’ll learn all about the varieties of Greek grapes and wines (you’ll even receive a personalized folder with the history of Cretan wines), and get to taste red white rosé, and dessert wines, all accompanied by paired food plates.
Leaving the cellar, we’ll continue our walk through the old town and visit a local sweets shop. If you have a sustainable sweet tooth, then we’ve got you covered, as this patisserie creates sweet delights using only local, organic products. How about some baklava with ice cream made from sheep’s milk from a local farm? Trust us, you don’t know how tasty ice cream can be until you’ve tried some with us!
Next up on this Rethymnon tour, we’re going to sample some locally brewed beer and meze. But instead of heading to a tavern, we’re going to snack in a local art venue where you can chat with the artist and find out how Crete never fails to inspire artistic hearts.
Last but not least, you’ll try a signature cocktail made just for you, starring our liquid royalty, raki. Also known as tsikoudia, raki is an alcoholic beverage — a fragrant, grape-based pomace brandy of Crete.
Your culinary tour of Rethymnon will sadly finish here, but we know you will definitely want to come back for more!
This tour is priced for a minimum group size of two travelers. A solo traveler may still book this private experience but will be charged the base rate for two travelers.
- Local English-speaking guide
- Food and beverage samples as indicated in the itinerary (coffee, pastries, traditional sweets, wine/spirit tasting, locally produced ice cream, locally brewed beer, and meze platter)
- The inclusions are more than enough that you can skip dinner!
- Vegetarian options are available but please let us know at the time of booking.
Cena nie zawiera
- Additional food and drinks
- Items of a personal nature
- Tips/gratuities for your local guide
- Starting time: 6.00 PM
- Duration: 4 hours
- Language: English
- Meeting point: At the Square of the Four Martyrs in the centre of modern Rethymnon (in front of the Four Martyrs Church). Your guide will be holding a Crete Urban Adventures sign.
- Ending point: Venetian Harbour of Rethymnon
- Child Policy: Travellers under 18 years of age are not permitted on this tour.
- Rethymnon. ; odjazd o: 18:00; At the Square of the Four Martyrs in the centre of modern Rethymnon (in front of the Four Martyrs Church). Your guide will be holding a Crete Urban Adventures sign.
- Dress standard: Please wear comfortable walking shoes (no flip-flops!). The dress code for the venues is smart-casual. No beachwear allowed.